You set yourself for success when you’re aware of the places where folks take wrong turns when embarking on diets or cleanses. Amanda and Mario talk cleanse mindset, accountability buddies, tough love, slamming doors, falling off the wagon and the weaponization of the food industry. Although it may sound baffling, you’ll actually need to eat MORE to lose weight on The Cool Down Cleanse.
- Go either early or late. If you want the best selection, go early before the market is even officially open. While the farmers are setting up, you can eye their goods. To get the best deals, (and you may want to go this route if you are shopping for large quantities of fruits and veggies for a cleanse), go at the end. This only works if you aren’t picky about what produce you’re getting. Ask if there’s an “end of market discount”.
- Offer to pick up at the farm instead. If you have a favorite vendor at the farmers market, ask if it would be better for them to have you pick up or even harvest your own produce from their farm for a reduced rate.
- Become a regular. If you shop often with the same farmer, you will likely be rewarded for it. Most of the farmers we shop with give us tons of freebies and extra of everything. Tell the farmer about your diet and that you’re open to any fruits or veggies at a good price (and then give them your contact info).
- Appreciate your farmer’s hard work. Farming is an art. Tell your farmer how much you appreciate what he/she’s doing and that his/her produce looks beautiful. Gratitude goes a long way! You may get deals, freebies or access to the super premium goodies that the farmers keep tucked away for their best customers.
- Invest in wheels. If you’re buying in volume, you might want to acquire a wagon or wheeled cart. This will allow you to do your entire fruit & veg haul in one fell swoop. I’ve seen parents use strollers for gathering produce. That certainly works too! You can always wear your baby while you’re strolling your veggies.
- Heart Disease
- Celiac Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis
- steamed squash
- boiled, baked or steamed potatoes (or other root veggies)
- No-oil soups
- Avocado, sprouted RAW nuts and seeds (that just means soaked in water overnight)
- fruit salads
- Fruit and Veg smoothies
- Fruit and Veg monomeals, which we covered in DAMN VEGANS, episode 004
- fresh fruit juice – not from a bottle with preservatives!!! squeeze that stuff yourself or buy it from somewhere that sells juice, like Vegan Mario’s!
Damn Vegans Episode 005.
“Inflammation comes first, then disease. It’s a build up of inflammation and then finally something in your body, it’s weakest point, will be effected. It’s different for every person. That’s why there are so many diseases of inflammation.”
~Amanda Congdon, The Damn Vegans Podcast 005
This week on the podcast… Mario and I ask an OUTRAGEOUS question on the Vegans United Facebook group–it has literally created outrage– as well as garnered 300+ comments. I launch a side business as an Inflammation Reduction Specialist. I’m the I.R.S.!
After only a few days on a raw diet, a client from Seattle is already taking less medication and walking around more. We recommend non-believers with inflammatory diseases try the diet, even if they don’t think it will work. Just give it 21 days. It doesn’t take “belief” to work.
Mario and Amanda discuss different forms of vegan activism and debate about best practices. Mario’s main form of advocacy is through tasty food and waiting for a good opening. Amanda doesn’t care for PETA’s “sex sells” angle or believe “trigger warnings” are in anyone’s best interest.
You are hereby invited to join the “Sunshine Club”, by listening to this week’s episode of The Damn Vegans Podcast 005!
You have so little time to prepare healthy meals… what’s the solution?
Quick AND healthy meals do exist! Amanda and Mario talk about their favorite monomeals.